Well here we are yet again. I was just lazily browsing the web when I came across a very interesting and compelling conference video discussing storytelling video games focusing in on Episodic content, to which i'd like to express my views on.
I couldn't find a youtube link to embed the video, but it can be found here:
http://www.gamespot.com/features/episodic-content-the-future-of-storytelling-in-games-6350306/
Now in there, he talks about how he thinks that episodic content, very much similar to how a TV series does an episodic series for its shows, can be applied to video games as well, and i think he's definitely on the right track in this assumption. If you look at the big list of titles coming this year, you'll notice alot of those really great games have some grain of this within them. take Modern Warfare 3 for instance. In its trailer, it reintroduces an old character which was part of a major storyline piece in a previous call of Duty title. and, since the previous story was a great success and they planted hints of yet a further storyline in the previous games, it keeps people coming back for more and more and more.
but, even as he stated, don't take that at face value, look at the numbers! If Modern Warfare 3 was able to outsell even a massive blockbuster movie like Avatar, they must be doing something right, right? and that episodic planting combined with great visuals and compelling gameplay are exactly what made it a smash hit.
anyways, I just wanted to get in here and post my comments about this piece I found, thanks for looking!
No comments:
Post a Comment